The Cowman is the flagship middle distance triathlon held by Big Cow Events annually since 2003.
2017 saw the introduction of the Calfman race which is half the distance of the Cowman, slightly longer overall than a standard distance triathlon and this year they are adding the Stampede sprint distance triathlon.
They can be tackled as an individual or as a relay team of two or three, with prizes across the board for individual age groups and teams.
Set in the Emberton Country Park, the race kicks off at the Emberton Sailing Club with a swim in the lake before heading out from Olney visiting Yardley Hastings, Denton, Horton, Stoke Goldington and Newport Pagnell. The run course is around the lake featuring both on and off-road sections.
Cowman Distance: 1.9k swim, 90k bike, 21k run
Calfman Distance: 950m swim, 45k bike, 10.5k run
Stampede Distance: 750m swim, 22k bike, 5.25k run
I took part in the Calfman. A last minute entry for which I was charged no more and registration could not have been more helpful. Parking was easy, and a pleasant walk to the main event arena.
The swim was around a lake, a one loop bike course on open roads which were wide and did not cause any issue with traffic. There were plenty of marshalls and going the wrong way would have been difficult! Even for me! The run was two loops on paths and tracks. The course was fast, challenging and worked well. Certainly a race I would do again. The heat was the biggest issue, and although there was plenty of water available, I was pleased I was not doing the Cowman!
For all those medal chasers and swag bag hoarders, it’s a nice medal, with a tech T’shirt and the swim cap given when you register.
Thank you Big Cow Events, a great event!
Get The Details On
The Cowman, Calfman & Stampede TriathlonsTriathlon Review
- Event Website
- When Was The Event?
- 4th August 2018
- Was This A Qualification Race?
- Reviewed By
- Nick TK
- About The Reviewer
- The simple facts are... I am a half-educated grey man, raised in the 70’s with no fashion sense. I understand some of what is happening around me, loosely, and that which I don’t..
- What Age Group Was I In?
- Male VET
- Type Of Competitor
- Was This My First Time At This Event?
Quite simply, a good event! The timing, course and race was all really good. I was lucky to have a large number there from my Triathlon Club, Leighton Buzzard, all of whom, made lots of noise as each member of our club passed by. The MC was great, lively and kept the interest going as well. Not that it was bad, just not as good as the rest, the food stalls were a little limited and the one offering cool refreshing smoothies, (a great choice on the day) had a large queue. More of a note for next time.
- Value For Money
- The Pros
- Great fast course
- Well organised
- Swim and run good for spectators
- The Cons
- The arena food stalls a little limited.
- Not really against the organisers but pedestrians .... come on! no need to walk three abreast down a path!
- Can not think of a third!
- Emberton Country Park, Olney Road, Emberton, Olney, UK
Booking The Event
- How far In Advance Did I Book?
- On the day
- What Discount Did I get?
- No Discount
- How Easy Was It To Book?
The Event Arena / Village
- Rate The Event Arena
- Rate The Buzz Around The Event Arena
- Rate The Food And Drink Stalls
The Event Facilities
- Rate The Parking
- Rate The Toilets
- Rate The Showers
- Was There A Bag Drop?
- Was There A Changing Tent?
- Rate The Medal
- Rate The Swag Bag
- Rate The Marshalls
- Rate The Course Marking
- Rate The Course Buzz
- Was The Event Timed?
- Was There Water On The Course?
- Did I Need To Be Able To Swim?
- Where There Bouyancy Aids Available?
- What Was The Maximum Depth Of The Water?
- 2 Metres Plus
- Types Of Terrain On The Course?