This can be an elegant soup, a rustic one or a mixture of the two. It is certainly the quickest soup I have ever made, just chestnut puree, stock and cream. After that, it can become a chameleon, soothe yourself with sour cream and chives, freshen it up with herbs, chilli or citrus zest, or give yourself something to crunch on with cheese on toast, croutons, chestnut croutons or bacon. You can also make a vegan version of this by replacing the cream with extra virgin olive oil.
By Merchant Gourmet Cook, Alex Mackay
- SERVES 2
- 10 MINUTES
- 1 PAN
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 200g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Chestnut Puree
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 75ml double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prep ahead – The soup will keep in the fridge for two days if it is carefully stored.
- Get a medium-sized saucepan. Spoon the chestnut puree into it. Add the vegetable stock and double cream. Whisk all of the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth
- Bring to the boil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve as it is or with one of the following ideas:
- Chestnut croutons with parsley & garlic
- Cheese on toast (do a big crouton across the top of the soup)
- Sour cream and chives
- Chopped chilli, orange zest, parsley (or chervil) and olive oil
- Bacon, croutons and rosemary