“This is a great dinner, breakfast, brunch or lunch. The tomatoey lentils give the dish an extra dimension, the peppers perk up the eggs enormously and the sauce just kicks and screams with flavour.”
By Merchant Gourmet Cook Alex Mackay
- Serves 4
- 35 Minutes
- 1 Pan
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy & Green Lentils
- 1 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 100ml water
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Grated zest of half an orange
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp sliced chives
- 4 tbsp Peppadew peppers, sliced
- Salt, chilli powder, sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 200c/Position Upper Middle Shelf
2. Get a shallow oven proof pan. Add the onion, garlic, yellow pepper, 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and water. Cover the pan. Sweat over a high heat, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and orange zest. Bring to the boil then lower the heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lentils, bring back to the boil. Season to taste with salt, sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes and as much chilli powder as you like.
4. Break the eggs into the sauce, then put the pan into the oven for 6-7 minutes for eggs that are just set.
5. Peel the avocado. Cut it into slices. Put the slices into a shallow bowl, gently mix them with a pinch of salt, the chives, peppers and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
6. Once the eggs are just cooked, scatter the avocado mixture over the top. Serve straight from the pan.
Standby for more fantastic tasty recipes from our friends at Merchant Gourmet soon ….